(departing from Beacon, NY)
(departing from Beacon, NY)
BUTTERFLY DAY ON BANNERMAN ISLAND!
August 12, 2020
Enjoy the day with a discovery tour, an informational presentation about the delicate life cycle of monarchs and butterflies by Emily Nestlerode, director Wildlife Education Center at Hudson Highlands Nature Museum, Cornwall on Hudson, and walk amongst the beautiful gardens on Bannerman island.
The Bannerman Castle Trust Inc., in cooperation with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, provides a public tour of Bannerman Castle and Pollepel Island. All proceeds will benefit the Pollepel Island and Bannerman Castle preservation efforts, to ensure many can experience this beautiful place for generations to come.
- 30-minute boat ride over to Bannerman Island aboard the Estuary Steward
- Presentation by the Hudson Highlands Nature Museum
- Tour of Bannerman Island and talk about the gardens
- Return trip back on the Estuary Steward to Beacon where it all began
Beacon Institute Floating Dock (Beacon, NY)
Directions: Take I 84 to Exit 11 (Beacon) South. Turn right at Beekman Street. Follow and pass main entrance to Metro North Train Station. Make the next right onto Red Flynn Drive (Please note: the Road is not marked!) Red Flynn Drive is the bridge over the train tracks. Once you go over bridge you pass Long Dock Park Entrance. (Do not go into Long Dock Park.) Red Flynn Drive bares to the right. Look to the left as you go down the hill. The Beacon Institute Dock is the first floating dock on the left.
(Exact meeting location details will be provided immediately upon purchase of tickets.)
The tour departs from Beacon, NY and advance booking is required for all tours! Please wear comfortable shoes as there is some rough terrain on the walking tour portion of the experience. Strollers cannot be accommodated. There is a 72-step climb from the dock to the start of the tour (there is a rest stop along the way). Food and drinks are not included, but you can purchase snacks on board or bring your own food to eat on the boat only (no picnicking allowed on Pollepel Island).
RAIN OR SHINE
Tours go rain or shine. There is a no refund or rescheduling policy.
- Due to safety issues, you do not go inside the structures.
- This activity is best for ages 11 and up. For a more family-oriented activity, check out the Self-Guided Tour with Live Music from Beacon on the third Sunday of every month.
- Personal photography is welcomed on the tours. take as many photos as you like. Commercial photography is not allowed without getting a permit from NYS which includes a fee.
- It is against Coast Guard regulations to put an infant on your lap to make room for another passenger. The Estuary Steward can only take 44 passengers and that includes all children including babies on your lap. Tours are not recommended for children ages 7 and under. Due to USCG regulations, every passenger requires a seat on the vessel.
- We cannot accommodate dogs on the island. Only certified service dogs.
Become a Bannerman Castle Trust member and receive a friendship card, discounts on Island tours, Bannerman merchandise, most events and much more!
The rich history of Bannerman Castle and the beautiful scenery of Pollepel Island place will provide a wonderfully enriching day for the whole family.
Make a donation to the Bannerman Castle Trust to help preserve Bannerman Castle, stabilize the buildings, and maintain the grounds on Pollepel Island.