Paddle in your own kayak or canoe to Bannerman Castle and explore this incredible island in the setting of the Hudson Highlands with a self-guided tour! All ages welcome.
BANNERMAN ISLAND CRUISE & WALKING TOUR
- Adult Ages 12+
- Child Ages 0 - 11
Enjoy a cruise and tour at Bannerman Castle
One of the best things to do along the Hudson River is visit Pollepel Island, a tiny jewel in the setting of the Hudson Highlands. The rich history of Bannerman Castle and the beautiful scenery of this place will provide a wonderfully enriching day for the whole family. The whole Bannerman Island tour experience is 2.5 hours and we’ll be leaving from Beacon, NY.
The Bannerman Castle Trust Inc., in cooperation with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, provides a public tour of Bannerman Castle and Pollepel Island. All proceeds will benefit the Pollepel Island and Bannerman Castle preservation efforts, to ensure many can experience this beautiful place for generations to come.
- Due to safety issues, you do not go inside the structures.
- This activity is best for ages 11 and up. For a more family-oriented activity, check out the Self-Guided Tour with Live Music from Beacon on the third Sunday of every month.
- Personal photography is welcomed on the tours. Take as many photos as you like. Commercial photography is not allowed without getting a permit from NYS which includes a fee.
- It is against Coast Guard regulations to put an infant on your lap to make room for another passenger. The Estuary Steward can only take 44 passengers and that includes all children and babies on your lap. Tours are not recommended for children ages 7 and under. Due to USCG regulations, every passenger requires a seat on the vessel.
- We cannot accommodate dogs on the island. Only certified service dogs.
What to bring:
The tour departs from Beacon, NY and advance booking is required for all tours! Please wear comfortable shoes as there is some rough terrain on the walking tour portion of the experience. Strollers cannot be accommodated. There is a 72-step climb from the dock to the start of the tour (there is a rest stop along the way). Food and drinks are not included, but you can purchase snacks on board or bring your own food to eat on the boat only (no picnicking allowed on Pollepel Island).
Beacon Institute Floating Dock (Beacon, NY)
Directions: Take Exit 41 (Beacon) South. Turn right at Beekman Street. Follow and pass main entrance to Metro North Train Station. Make the next right onto Red Flynn Drive (Please note: the Road is not marked!) Red Flynn Drive is the bridge over the train tracks. Once you go over bridge you pass Long Dock Park Entrance. (Do not go into Long Dock Park.) Red Flynn Drive bares to the right. Look to the left as you go down the hill. The Beacon Institute Dock is the first floating dock on the left.
(Exact meeting location details will be provided immediately upon purchase of tickets.)